At an Australian Open marked by upsets and new story lines, Rafael Nadal will play Sundays final against a man often called

in Quasselecke 25.08.2018 09:07
von jinshuiqian0713 • 1.650 Beiträge

MELBOURNE, Australia - At an Australian Open marked by upsets and new story lines, Rafael Nadal will play Sundays final against a man often called the "other" Swiss tennis player. Solomon Hill Jersey . Now, after a stunning run in Melbourne, Stanislas Wawrinka has a new nickname: The Stanimal — a tribute to his gritty, fight-until-the end style of tennis. Fittingly, perhaps, the name was apparently coined by none other than Roger Federer, in a tweet of support for his friend which quickly caught on earlier in the tournament. Now that Federer is out of the running — he lost to Nadal in the semifinals — the 17-time Grand Slam winner and long-time ambassador for Swiss tennis has joined those cheering for Wawrinka to win his first Grand Slam final. It is a match that holds historical significance for all three players. If the No. 1-ranked Nadal wins, as the odds suggest he will, the 27-year-old Spaniard will become the first player to win each of the majors twice in the Open era. It would be his 14th Grand Slam trophy and bring him one step closer to Federers all-time record of 17. If No. 8-ranked Wawrinka beats Nadal to win his first major title, he catapults to a career high of No. 3 in the rankings. Just reaching the final assures Wawrinka of the No. 5 spot, meaning for the first time he will pass Federer, who is now ranked sixth. On the eve of the final, Wawrinka said he was still shocked by his success. "Its insane. Its incredible," the 28-year-old Wawrinka said Saturday, speaking to reporters in English and in his native French. "I never imagined that one day I would be here, playing in the final." After a breakthrough year in 2013, Wawrinka is playing the best tennis of his life in Melbourne. He knocked out three-time Australian Open champion Novak Djokovic in the quarterfinals and beat No. 7 Tomas Berdych in the semifinals. He knows how tough it will be to beat Nadal — hes tried and failed 12 times. "Ive played him so many times, and lost so many times, but Im going to try again," Wawrinka said. "I know what I have to do. I know that I have to play aggressive, serve really well, and try to always push him." "Im playing my best tennis here," Wawrinka added. "Physically, Im ready.". Nadal says hes ready, too, for a breakthrough at what he calls his unluckiest Grand Slam. Nadal won in Melbourne in 2009 but in subsequent years struggled with injuries during or before the seasons first major. He missed the 2013 Australian Open during a seven-month layoff for illness and a knee injury. He returned to win the French and U.S. Open last year but reaching the final in Melbourne holds special significance. "After missing last year for me its really, really emotional to be back on this court, Rod Laver Arena, and to be able to play another final," said Nadal, who has known Wawrinka since they were teens, playing junior tournaments in Europe. "Hes a good friend, a great guy. Im so happy for him that hes in the final. He deserves it," Nadal said. "I know it will be a very, very tough match." Wawrinkas other longtime friend, Federer, had hoped Sundays story would be about an all-Swiss final. But after losing the latest installment of the Federer-Nadal rivalry, hes cheering for Wawrinka. "I hope he wins, and I hope he gives everything he has," Federer said. "Theres no reason not believe that he can beat Rafa." "Stans in his first Grand Slam final, so that makes Stan also unpredictable. Hes got to use that to his advantage." Cheap Pelicans Jerseys .S. President Barack Obama saluted the Stanley Cup winning Chicago Blackhawks at the White House on Monday -- a rare moment for a president hungry to see more victorious teams from his hometown. Rajon Rondo Jersey . The German has taken the pole for three straight races -- winning the first two. Hes aiming for a third consecutive win at the Yeongam circuit and, most importantly, a fourth consecutive F1 championship. http://www.cheappelicansjerseys.com/?tag=cheap-etwaun-moore-jersey . After losing a shutout bid in the dying seconds of Sundays win over the Colorado Avalanche, Luongo would not be denied against the punchless Oilers and is now just one back of Patrick Roy for 14th on the all-time list.MONTEGO BAY, Jamaica -- Canada booked a World Cup ticket with a 5-0 win against Jamaica at the CONCACAF Under-17 Womens Championship on Thursday. Marie-Mychele Metivier, Emily Borgmann, Jessie Fleming, Sarah Kinzner and Marie Levasseur scored for Canada, which advanced to the CONCACAF final Saturday. Theyll face Mexico, who earlier knocked out the United States 4-2 on penalty kicks to also earn a World Cup spot. The win also earned Canada a berth at the FIFA U-17 Womens World Cup next year in Costa Rica. Canada is the only CONCACAF nation to have qualified for all four editions of the World Cup. "Im really happy," said Canadas coach Beverly Priestman. "The girls stuck to our game plan and deserve the win." Metivier opened the scoring just four minutes into the match on a hot evening at Catherine Hall Stadium. Her shot was deeflected off a defender into the net, giving her a tournament-leading six goals. Wholesale Pelicans Jerseys. Canada would strike again in the 27th minute, when Borgmann collected a pass from fellow attacker Marie Levasseur to guide the ball across the line. Priestman said it was the second goal that gave Canada the momentum they needed. "We knew that we had to put a few away to take the momentum of the game and quiet the crowd," she said. Three minutes later, Fleming made it 3-0 with a shot into the top of the net from outside of the 18-yard box. Kinzner scored her first of the tournament in the 48th minute. Racing to collect a pass from Fleming she out-battled her defender, stretching for the ball and directing it past Jamaicas on-rushing keeper. Levasseur capped the scoring with a long shot that beat the keeper in the 70th minute. Cheap Diamondbacks Jerseys Cheap Braves Jerseys Cheap Orioles Jerseys Cheap Red Sox Jerseys Cheap Cubs Jerseys Cheap White Sox Jerseys Cheap Reds Jerseys Cheap Indians Jerseys Cheap Rockies Jerseys Cheap Tigers Jerseys Cheap Astros Jerseys Cheap Royals Jerseys Cheap Angels Jerseys Cheap Dodgers Jerseys Cheap Marlins Jerseys ' ' '

nach oben springen

Besucher

Forum Statistiken
Das Forum hat 19455 Themen und 77011 Beiträge.

Xobor Forum Software von Xobor | Forum, Fotos, Chat und mehr mit Xobor