RBIs.He is one of five switch-hitters in MLB history

in Quasselecke 22.02.2019 13:49
von riluowanying123 • 1.959 Beiträge

When the tough junior lightweight fight was over and Juan Manuel Lopez had knocked out fellow former world titleholder Wilfredo Vazquez Jr. in the 11th round of their bitter grudge match, they showed each other mutual respect and embraced multiple times.But what a wild time it was getting to that point Saturday night at Roberto Clemente Coliseum in San Juan, Puerto Rico.The Puerto Rican rivals, whose animosity had been building for years, went at each other relentlessly before the fight in a build-up that was as nasty as there could have been. Vazquez went so far as to say a few days before the fight that Lopez repulses him, and then they nearly came to blows at the final news conference, which prompted Black Tiger Promotions officials to beef up security at Fridays weigh-in.But on fight night, they let it all hang out in an exciting battle that ended in wild fashion, with Lopez, moments after scoring the knockout, exchanging punches with one of Vazquezs cornermen as the ring filled and fans began throwing objects, soda and beer at ringside.It took a few minutes to restore order, at which point Lopez and Vazquez stood with their arms around each other in the ring, having earned each others respect after a grueling fight, which was contracted at 129 pounds, one below the junior lightweight limit as an accommodation to the smaller Vazquez.Lopez (35-5, 32 KOs), 33, a powerful southpaw who won world titles at junior featherweight and featherweight and was at one time widely considered one of the 10 best fighters in the world pound-for-pound, was coming off a 25-month retirement and had been badly knocked out inside four rounds in three of his previous four fights.Lopez did not look good early. Through most of the first half of the fight, Lopez appeared to lack the usual snap on his punches, looked a bit soft and was being soundly outboxed by the quicker Vazquez (24-7-1, 19 KOs), 32, a former junior featherweight titleholder who repeatedly landed lead left hands.Slowly but surely, however, Lopez began to find his target. He nailed Vazquez with a right hook that shook him in the fifth round. As the rounds wore on, Vazquez was having trouble with his left eye, which he continually blinked for the rest of the fight. By the eighth round, it had turned into an all-out brawl, exactly the kind of fight that typically does not bode well for Vazquez. At the end of the ninth round, they continued to trade punches with each other after the bell as the crowd went wild.Finally, in the 11th round, Lopez backed a fading Vazquez close to the ropes and fired a combination that rocked him and sent him falling into the ropes. Vazquez grabbed onto the top rope to try to keep from going down but landed on his rear end. Rather than give Vazquez a chance to collect himself and begin counting for the knockdown, referee Ramon Pena immediately called off the fight at 2 minutes, 29 seconds.Lopez began to celebrate, and then moved aggressively toward one of Vazquezs cornermen, who had entered the ring. They exchanged multiple punches in a wild scene and the ring immediately filled with people, and a riot nearly broke out in the ring and at ringside before order was restored.At time of stoppage, Lopez was ahead 96-94 on two of the judges scorecards, and the third judge had it 95-95.Vazquez, the son of former three-division world titleholder Wilfredo Vazquez Sr., his trainer, has lost three fights in a row and four of his past five, but he accomplished more in his career than many thought he ever would. He began boxing in 2006 without any amateur background, won a vacant 122-pound world title in 2010 and made two successful defenses. After the loss to Lopez, however, Vazquez said in the ring that this was his last fight.Lopez, out of retirement, said he planned to fight again and wanted any big name willing to face him. He mentioned former three-division titleholder Abner Mares, who is scheduled for a Dec. 10 fight against featherweight titleholder Jesus Cuellar. In September 2014, Cuellar obliterated Lopez in the second round of an interim title fight in the loss that sent him into retirement.Lopez also mentioned a desire to face Mexican rival Orlando Salido again. Salido traveled to Puerto Rico in 2011 and knocked Lopez out in the eighth round of a major upset to take his featherweight title. In the 2012 rematch, Salido knocked him out again, this time in the 10th round. Air Max 1 Scontate Online . They were putting most of their energy into a record-setting offensive display. Nike Air Max 1 Vendita . This should be celebrated because it will not always be this way. With the amount of money given to players by their clubs these days, it is a wonder that so many of those teams allow the sport to continue to take away many of their assets so they can play for a different team in the middle of their season. http://www.airmax1scontate.it/ . -- Hunter Smith scored the winner with just 12 seconds remaining in the third period as the Oshawa Generals edged the host Sarnia Sting 5-4 on Friday in Ontario Hockey League action. Air Max 1 Scontate . -- Stanford squashed Oregons national championship hopes again, schooling the Ducks in power football. Air Max 1 Outlet Italia . Siddikur, whose previous win on the circuit came in Brunei three years ago, finished his bogey-free round with a birdie on the 18th for a total of 17-under 199. Indias Shiv Chowrasia, who has finished runner-up in this tournament twice, was in second place after a 66. NEW YORK --?Yankees?first baseman?Mark Teixeira?said he was certain this was the right time, but that didnt make it any easier for him to say goodbye.Teixeira fought back tears Friday?as he announced that his 14th season in the major leagues will be his last. At 36, he has decided to retire at the end of the season.I got to live out my dream, said Teixeira, who has hit 404 career home runs and won a World Series with the Yankees in 2009.Teixeira said in spring training that he hoped to play another five years. He has missed time because of problems with his neck and knees, however, and he said his decision to call it a career was made at the All-Star break.I just realized my body cant do it anymore, Teixeira said. If Im going to grind through seasons not being healthy, Id rather be home with my kids.My neck hurts almost every day. The knee thing popped up. It all kind of dawned on me thats not in the cards.Teixeira is in the eighth and final year of the $180 million contract he signed as a free agent in December 2008. He said he kept the decision to himself at first, but after the Yankees went into sell mode at this weeks non-waiver trade deadline, he understood there would be questions about his future.I dont want to be a distraction, said Teixeira, a three-time All-Star and five-time Gold Glove winner.Teixeira was in the lineup for Friday nights 13-7 win over the Cleveland Indians. He?doubled in the first inning after receiving a warm ovation, then legged out a single in the third and took third on Brian McCanns double.?It was special tonight, he said. I had a lot of the Indians come over and say congratulations, and the umpires, just telling me that they enjoyed watching me and playing against me.At .202, his batting average reached .200 for the first time since before play on May 20.It had to be really rewarding for the game that he had tonight, Girardi said, adding that hell continue to play Teixeira as much as I can [the rest of the season].Teixeiras best season came in 2009, his first with the Yankees, wheen he hit .dddddddddddd92 with 39 homers and 122 RBIs and finished second in American League MVP voting.He said he was proudest of hitting at least 30 home runs and driving in at least 100 runs for eight straight seasons from 2004 through 2011.He was limited to 15 games and a .151 average in 2013 after he tore the tendon sheath in his right hand while with the U.S. team at the World Baseball Classic. He had surgery that July and missed the remainder of the season, then hit .216 with 22 homers and 62 RBIs the following year, when the hand was still regaining strength and he was slowed by a hamstring injury.Fully recovered, he made the All-Star team again in 2015 but fouled a pitch off his right leg Aug. 17, played two more games in pain and then found out he had fractured his shin. He finished the season with a .255 average, 31 homers and 79 RBIs.Teixeira hasnt appeared in more than 123 games in a season since 2011.Teixeira, chosen by the Texas Rangers with the fifth overall pick in the 2001 amateur draft, also played for the Rangers,?Atlanta Braves?and?Los Angeles Angels?in his 14-year career. He owns a .269 career batting average with 1,281 RBIs.He is one of five switch-hitters in MLB history with at least 400 home runs, joining Mickey Mantle (536), Eddie Murray (504), Chipper Jones (468) and Carlos Beltran (415).Only nine players have finished their careers with at least 400 home runs and five Gold Gloves. All are in the Hall of Fame, except Barry Bonds and Andruw Jones, who will be eligible in 2018.?Teixeiras potential successor at first base is 23-year-old Greg Bird,?who is missing this season after shoulder surgery in February.On Friday, Teixeira said it mattered to him to retire as a Yankee.I gave you everything I had, he said, speaking to Yankees fans as his voice cracked. It wasnt always enough, but I tried my best.Information from The Associated Press was used in this report. ' ' '

nach oben springen

Besucher

Forum Statistiken
Das Forum hat 19455 Themen und 77011 Beiträge.

Xobor Forum Software von Xobor | Forum, Fotos, Chat und mehr mit Xobor