y response back then, in 2008 -- was I flatter

in Quasselecke 23.08.2018 13:40
von riluowanying123 • 1.959 Beiträge

Some of the sports stories The Associated Press is covering Tuesday. A full Sports Digest will be sent by about 3 p.m. All times EDT:- MIAMI -- Jose Fernandez was at a Miami River bar and restaurant before he and two friends were killed in a boat crash. Its not clear if he had been drinking, and toxicology reports have not been released.- CHASKA, Minn. -- Europe, which has won eight of the last 10 Ryder Cups, faces an American squad that U.S. captain Davis Love III calls the best golf team maybe ever assembled.- NEW YORK -- The Boston Red Sox, riding an 11-game winning streak, have a chance to clinch the AL East title when they send David Price to the mound against the New York Yankees. Game starts 7:05 p.m.- TORONTO -- The Toronto Blue Jays and Baltimore Orioles begin a pivotal three-game series in a showdown between the top AL wild-card teams. Game starts 7:07 p.m.- INDEPENDENCE, Ohio -- Having finally brought a championship to Cleveland, LeBron James tells the AP he wants to pass Michael Jordan and be considered the greatest player in NBA history.- NEW YORK -- The usual basketball talk on the opening of NBA training camps gives way to discussions about social injustice and violence, with players worried about their communities and country.- OAKLAND, Calif. -- The Golden State Warriors, coming off a record-73 win season, hold their first practice since signing Kevin Durant.- After firing the most successful football coach in school history, LSU needs a home run hire. But upgrading from Les Miles is far from a sure thing.- WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. -- Joining No. 3 Louisville and No. 5 Clemson in a tie for first in the ACCs Atlantic Division is Wake Forest. The Demon Deacons, unranked and undefeated, are off to their best start in a decade.- PHOENIX -- The Pac-12 has been filled with surprises this season, including Arizona States rise to the top of the South Division and Southern Californias fast fade.- ATLANTA -- Two road wins have energized Falcons coach Dan Quinn, whose team improved to 2-1 after a Monday night victory at New Orleans.- PITTSBURGH -- Whatever early momentum the Steelers had disappeared in Philadelphia. The worst loss since coach Mike Tomlin has been coaching Pittsburgh provided a reality check.- TORONTO -- Canada plays Team Europe in Game 1 of the best-of-three World Cup of Hockey finals. Europe is without high-scoring wing Marian Gaborik, who is sidelined for eight weeks with a foot injury. Game starts 8 p.m.- LAS VEGAS -- Conor McGregor will fight for Eddie Alvarezs lightweight title on Nov. 12 at Madison Square Garden in UFCs debut in New York. Maillot Jan Vertonghen . Aaron Harrison scored a 22 points for Kentucky (6-1), which has won four in a row following a Nov. 12 loss to current No. 1 Michigan State. Julius Randle overcame a scoreless first half and added his sixth double-double in as many games with 14 points and 10 rebounds. Maillot Vincent Kompany . "No difference at all," chirped U.S. roommate and linemate James van Riemsdyk. "Its still the same cranky Phil. http://www.maillotbelgiqueexterieur.com/maillot-thorgan-hazard.html . Brad Jacobs and his Sault Ste. Marie, Ont., team took control of the game early. Maillot De Foot Belgique Pas Cher .C. -- Chris Thorburn thinks one of the reasons the Winnipeg Jets have been successful under new coach Paul Maurice is that theyre playing together as a team. Maillot Eden Hazard Diable Rouge . -- Ken Appleby made 32 saves for his first shutout of the season to lead the Oshawa Generals to a 2-0 win over the Belleville Bulls on Wednesday in Ontario Hockey League action. Name a pole vaulter. Honestly, try naming any pole vaulter in history -- any gender, any nationality, any era.And, no, not a decathlete -- a pole vaulter.Got a name?Probably not. But for millions, the image of a photo might have flickered through your mind: that of a young woman standing in a white athletic top, her right arm extended behind her head to adjust her ponytail, her midriff showing, a pole resting across her shoulder. In the photo, which was taken in while she was in high school, Allison Stokke is looking off into the distance, clearly preparing for an attempt.The photo was posted in 2008 to a sports blog, along with the following text: Meet pole vaulter Allison Stokke... Hubba hubba and other grunting sounds.Within weeks, dozens of other blogs and message boards picked up the image. Calculating just how many people have seen the photo is impossible. But heres some anecdotal evidence to suggest that number is ridiculously high: the same week the image was posted online, Stokke opened up Facebook.She had infinity friend requests.The number of requests pouring into her account had broken Facebooks counting mechanism. Or consider this: the week after the photo appeared online, Cindy Stokke went to the neighborhood dry cleaner, where the woman behind the counter looked at her ticket, saw the last name and asked if she was related to the girl in the pole-vaulting picture.Yes, thats my daughter.Apparently everyone in Korea, where the store owner was from, was talking about the image.In the infamous photo, Stokke is competing in a high school meet. She is, in that moment, an athlete, just as she is now. The year the viral photo was taken, she was 17 years old and the best high school vaulter in the country. In the picture, she is strong, her body taut.Of course, thats not why the photo went viral -- not really. The image tore across the web because men thought she looked hot. Part of that hotness is certainly her strength, her body, which also helps make her a better pole vaulter.But lets not kid ourselves: very few people ogling the photo saw Stokke through the athlete prism. They saw sex. Hubba, hubba.The picture is like a Rubin vase for sports. What do you see when you look at the photo: a female athlete preparing to vault, or a sexy young woman striking a pose?If most people see only sex, even though Stokke was literally in the middle of a competition, and if she does not want to be a sex symbol and really loathes the idea, then how does she continue being an athlete? If society has intertwined those two identities, how does she go about being one without reinforcing the other?I feel like me and that picture are two different people, Stokke says. I feel it has taken on a life of its own. Its like that picture is my alter-ego and sometimes I feel like I use it for a positive force, and sometimes I just choose to leave it out there and not engage with it.What a strange space we launched her into -- and at age 18.Stokke is now 27, and shes still vaulting. In fact, last year, the Cal graduate moved from California to Phoenix, where shes training, working under a new coach and surrounded by the very best. She wanted to give herself the best chance to achieve her lifelong dream: making the Olympic team. The Southern California native briefly gave up her sport a few years ago, deciding she needed to move on and get her masters. But she quickly realized she wasnt yet done. She still wanted to try to twist her body over greater and greater heights.The USA Track & Field Olympic Trials are in Eugene, Oregon, on Friday. Stokke will be watching from the sidelines, as her 4.20 meter entry mark didnt meet the 4.50m minimum standard, but shell continue to train and compete.Its July of 2015, and Stokke is sitting in the back of a coffee shop in Orange County when the guy at the next table leans into her space. She catches the movement out of the corner of her eye. Her smile freezes; her hand tightens around her café au lait.I couldnt help but eavesdrop, he says, but were you talking about sports?She was, in fact. She was talking about why she first started vaulting (she grew out of gymnastics), her years at the University of California (2006 to 2010), the small international competitions in Europe where you rent a car and drive all night instead of paying for a hotel, and about chasing the 2016 Olympic dream.Stokke smiles in the mans direction without making eye contact and says: Yup!He waits for her to say more, then nods, satisfied, as if this is the coolest thing hes heard in a while, then he drifts back into his space.Stokke exhales.In the months after the picture went viral, pphotographers would kneel beneath her at meets, shooting upward as she stood on the runway before an attempt.dddddddddddd Grown men would send postcards, with handwritten notes, to her home in California -- some of the sentiments were kind; some were not.When Stokke vaulted at Cal, the school removed her headshot from its website because men would constantly request a signed copy. And in the years immediately after the image went viral, she would often get asked to pose for pictures with men who couldnt believe they had run into the young woman from that super hot photo on the internet.Or with men who really could believe they had, because they orchestrated a meeting, attending the event just to take a picture with Stokke.So, no, its not an overblown reaction if Stokke builds an invisible wall when someone unexpectedly leans into her space. A lot of people have leaned into her space. And shes mostly chosen to stay still -- very still -- and wait for them to go away.Google her name -- its almost like she didnt exist between 2009 and 2014. At that point, I wasnt the best vaulter in the country, so why should I be getting that much attention? she says. It cut the other way, too, though. I think at some point Cal just decided: Dont put anything up about her. So even if I jumped high or won a meet, they wouldnt put up a picture or article, and thats actually the kind of recognition I would have liked to see.Even as a teenager, Stokke recognized her situation as a Catch-22. The attention she had garnered -- coverage by Glamour, offers from Maxim, calls to appear on The Today Show -- was disproportionate to her athletic achievements. Though she didnt yet have the language for her predicament, she sensed that waiting out the storm would be the best solution for her.Some people around her wondered why she didnt seize the moment: accept the spread in Maxim, the modeling contract, fly to New York to appear on the morning shows. Do all of it. After all, who knows if youll have the chance again?But the part never mentioned is that, once someone walks through that door, it snaps shut. Once a female athlete is publicly labeled beautiful, we offer her the world. But heres the trick: once she accepts it, we tear her apart, say shes exploiting and sexualizing herself. Oh, and we also say that shes not even that good, anyway.Ive never seen this viral thing happen to a male athlete who isnt also already the best at what they do, Stokke says. Yes, male athletes are also hailed for being incredibly attractive, but theyre usually top-ranked in the world, too.So Stokke kept fighting to become better.I think I saw her grow up faster, says her mom, Cindy. She saw how the world can be, saw how some people can be really cruel, some people can be great. I think she realized, I cant be so concerned about what everyone else thinks; I have to pursue my career and my dream and my sport.Stokke is not a victim.On this point, she is adamant, almost desperate. She did one print interview when this whole thing happened, with a magazine, and the energy conveyed by the piece was that Stokke was somehow wronged. Truth is: convincing people that unwanted attention from men isnt flattering -- and often also feels threatening -- is difficult.Stokke isnt good at being a victim. Shes an athlete; shes conditioned to mold herself to become whatever necessary. If she was going to be in the limelight, it was going to be because she was an athlete, and she knew that was about her looks, says Cindy. She wanted to be known for her ability to pole vault. Thats what she wanted.Says Stokke: At Cal, I wrote about it once for a Sociology class. We were supposed to write about some deep thing that affected you emotionally, and then you had the option to share, or not share and delete it. And I didnt share it. I deleted it. I wish I still had that somewhere, because I think it would be very different now.My response back then, in 2008 -- was I flattered? In some ways, sure. But I was overwhelmed, too. And I think my response to being overwhelmed was to just stay away from it entirely. But now, Im trying to figure out how to reclaim it and own it and push it in the right direction. And benefit from it -- in terms of fueling my training. And if I try to ignore it, it will take on a life of its own. Which is what I did in college: ignore it. And I lost control of my own story.In an earlier version of this story, we incorrectly said Stokke would be competing in the?USA Track & Field Olympic trials on July 8. Wholesale Jerseys Wholesale Jerseys cheap jerseys Cheap Jersyes Cheap Basketball Jerseys Cheap NHL Jerseys cheap jerseys Cheap Jerseys Cheap Jerseys Cheap Jerseys From China Cheap NFL Jerseys ' ' '

nach oben springen

Besucher

Forum Statistiken
Das Forum hat 19455 Themen und 77011 Beiträge.

Xobor Forum Software von Xobor | Forum, Fotos, Chat und mehr mit Xobor