TORONTO - If you had been up early to watch the Canadian mens hockey team win gold Sunday morning, the Raptors first-half lulla

in Quasselecke 20.01.2020 08:52
von jokergreen0220 • 1.730 Beiträge

TORONTO - If you had been up early to watch the Canadian mens hockey team win gold Sunday morning, the Raptors first-half lullaby likely put you back to sleep. Emanuel King Jersey Store . "I think we set basketball back probably 15 years in the first half," Dwane Casey admitted, speaking of his teams lackadaisical effort at the outset of a 105-90 win over the lowly Orlando Magic. Slow starts have become a troublesome trend for the Raptors, who scored 44 points on 42 per cent shooting in the opening 24 minutes Sunday, but theyve also developed a fondness for the second-half explosion, which seems to bail them out more often than not. Whatever Casey is saying or doing in the locker room at intermission, its been working. Once considered to be one of the worst third-quarter teams in the association, the Raptors looked like an inspired team coming out of the halftime break. "Like I told our guys, were going to have a lot of games where were going to have to grind it out," Casey said. "For whatever reason we struggle in the first half [and] come through, turn it on [in the second half], but I think thats also a little bit of growth on our part. Ive seen times when it had been a struggle for close to 40 minutes." The Raptors have indeed turned a corner in that regard, establishing themselves as a lethal second-half club. Toronto has outscored, or tied, its opponent in the second half in 13 straight contests, holding teams to 39 per cent shooting and besting them by 91 total points during that stretch. Since the season-altering trade of Rudy Gay, the Raptors lead the NBA in second-half point differential, outscoring foes by 216 points, 47 more than the second-ranked Indiana Pacers. Led by its dynamic backcourt, Toronto missed just two of its 14 field goal attempts in the third, besting the Magic 36-24 and turning a three-point halftime lead into a 15-point advantage going into the fourth. Neither guard, Kyle Lowry or DeMar DeRozan, missed a shot in the frame. The two combined for 26 of Torontos 36 points. Lowry, who shot just 1-of-7 in the first half, was in the zone. As the clock ticked down to end the period, the Raptors point guard pulled up from 25-feet and drained his fourth three-pointer, putting the finishing touch on a perfect (5-for-5 from the field, 4-for-4 from three, 3-for-3 from the line) 17-point quarter. Although the Raptors have outscored the Magic and Cavaliers 73-45, shooting 76 per cent from the floor in their last two third quarters - en route to a pair of home victories - Lowry and his teammates are wisely concerned about their customary slow starts. "Were not that good of a team to just ease our way into the game," said Lowry, who finished with 28 points on Sunday. "Weve got to come out and play with [that] intensity from the start." Whats behind the teams late wake-up calls? "I cant really put a finger on it," DeRozan said after scoring 17 of his 24 in the second half. "Maybe we just like a challenge sometimes. [We] put ourselves in a tough situation so we can fight ourselves out, but weve got to stop that and understand weve got to come out of the gate so we dont make the game that hard on us." Fortunately, the Raptors were playing host to the leagues worst road team. The Magic, riding a 15-game losing streak away from home, were missing leading scorer Arron Afflalo, absent as a result of an ankle injury. They scored just 14 points in the opening quarter and didnt put up much resistance when the Raptors guards seized control of the game. Toronto managed to seal a double-digit victory despite committing a season-high 24 turnovers, 18 of them coming from Lowry, DeRozan and Jonas Valanciunas. While six of Torontos next seven games come against losing teams, this is not a habit that will be kind to the playoff-bound Raptors as they approach the stretch run. "We cant rely on that," DeRozan said of his teams second-half success, "because when we run into the top teams its going to be tough to try to make a comeback against those teams." "So weve got to start a habit of that now," he continued, "even when were playing teams like Orlando so well be ready and we know what to expect when we play the good teams." Dave Pacella Jersey Store . 3. Trevor Ariza left them talkin about 40. Ariza made eight 3-pointers and scored a career-high 40 points to help the Washington Wizards win their sixth straight game, 122-103 over Philadelphia on Saturday night. Mike Nott Jersey Store .com) - The 12th-ranked Ohio State Buckeyes continue a four-game homestand at Value City Arena on Wednesday night when they face off against the High Point Panthers in a non-conference matchup. https://www.chinacheapjerseys.net/mack-strong-jersey-store/ . Reimer is winless (0-2-1) since returning from a six-week absence due to concussion-like symptoms. The Maple Leafs dropped a 4-2 decision to the hosting Washington Capitals on Friday.FORT MYERS, Fla. -- All-Star closer Glen Perkins didnt exactly enhance his bargaining power when he told the Minnesota Twins he was eager to get a deal done that would enable him to stay at home. Perkins got his wish Friday, agreeing to a four-year contract that guarantees him $22,175,000. "I approached them because I wanted to be here," Perkins said. "I wanted to make that clear, first and foremost, that I believe in what were doing here and I wanted to be a part of that. Im thankful to them for even broaching the subject on something they werent required to do." Born in St. Paul, Perkins went to the University of Minnesota and was the Twins first-round draft pick in 2004. Perkins had been due $4,975,000 this year and $3.75 million in 2015 under his previous deal, which included a $4.5 million team option for 2016 with a $300,000 buyout. His new contract gives him $4,025,000 this year, $4.65 million in 2015, $6.3 million in 2016 and $6.5 million in 2017. The Twins have a $6.5 million option for 2018 with a $700,000 buyout. "I wanted to be here. I grew up in Minnesota. Theres nowhere else that Ive ever wanted to play," Perkins said. "And so now, hopefully, this is something where Ill get to play here for my whole career." The 31-year-old lefty converted 36 of 40 save chances last year and was 2-0 with a 2.30 ERA. He had 21 saves at the break and was selected for the AL All-Star team for the first time. "One less thing to worry about," Twins manager Ron Gardenhire said. Perkins has a 28-17 career record with a 3.89 ERA and 54 saves. "Im excited about the commitment they made and look forward too rewarding them, like I did the last two years," he said. China Jerseys Store. "They gave me a chance in the bullpen a couple years ago and I rewarded them, and I look forward to doing that for the next four, maybe five years." Asked whether he might have taken a discount for his services, Perkins replied, "Ill take a $22 million discount any day of the week. I want to be here, and thats the most important thing. Thats more money than I need. Its not about that. Its about being here and being home." The Twins announced the deal while playing a pair of split-squad games. Perkins pitched a hitless inning as Minnesota and Baltimore tied at 2 in Fort Myers. Gardenhire guided the other split squad to a 7-3 win over the New York Yankees in Tampa. Gardenhire said hed heard the Twins and Perkins were working on a deal. "Im excited for him," Gardenhire said, adding with a laugh, "I think when the contracts up, hell be in a wheelchair." Perkins made his major league debut with the Twins in 2006. He was 12-4 as a full-time starter in 2008, remained in the rotation in 2009 and then began his move to the bullpen. "The guys come a long way from wanting to be a starter and complaining about it," Gardenhire said, who liked how Perkins had "grown up" with the Twins. "Very good pitcher with a great arm," he said. Kyle Gibson, who made 10 starts for Minnesota last year, was glad to hear Perkins would be sticking around for a while. "I dont know if theres anybody better out there. Hes a great team guy. Hes a leader," Gibson said after pitching four innings against the Yankees. ' ' '

nach oben springen

Besucher

Forum Statistiken
Das Forum hat 19455 Themen und 77011 Beiträge.

Xobor Forum Software von Xobor | Forum, Fotos, Chat und mehr mit Xobor