Former two-time All-Pro linebacker Isiah Robertson was killed

in Events in der Region 07.08.2019 04:30
von zhangzk • 189 Beiträge

MABANK Byron Murphy Jersey , Texas (AP) — when the limousine he was driving skidded on a rain-slicked curve on a dark, rural East Texas highway and was hit by two other vehicles.The Texas Department of Public Safety reports the crash happened about 10 p.m. Thursday on Texas Route 198 almost 6 miles (9 kilometers) north of Mabank (MAY’-bank) and 50 miles (80 kilometers) southeast of Dallas. A DPS statement says the limousine Robertson was driving entered the curve at an unsafe speed for the rainy conditions. It veered off the road and skidded sideways before coming to a stop partially on the road. A pickup truck following behind hit the limo, knocking the limo into the southbound lane where it was slammed by an oncoming car.Robertson, a 69-year-old Garland resident, was taken to an Athens hospital 20 miles (32 kilometers) away, where he died. The truck driver was treated for minor injuries and discharged. The other car driver was unhurt.The Los Angeles Rams drafted Robertson from Southern University in the first round of the 1971 NFL draft. He remained with the Rams through 1978, then played in 1979-82 for the Buffalo Bills. He was named first-team All-Pro in 1973 and 1976 and was chosen for the Pro Bowl in his rookie 1971 season, as well as 1973-77.In a statement, the Rams said: “We are deeply saddened by the loss of one of our Legends, Isiah Robertson. He will be remembered not only for the great player he was, helping our team achieve multiple division championships in the ’70s, but also by the work he did helping others through the House of Isaiah recovery center he founded in Texas.” Twice in the past three seasons, this was a de facto NFC North title game.Now, the Detroit Lions and Green Bay Packers are already out of the playoff race.So much for another big showdown in the regular-season finale.Packers CoveragePhotos of the Week: 7/21/19 – 7/27/19Packers rookie Gary’s biggest critic is himselfTop Tweets: Former Badger TJ Watt has impressive four-year transformationPHOTOS: 2019 Green Bay Packers training campPackers’ Rodgers, LaFleur ironing out offense Andy Isabella Jersey , building chemistryPlayers to watch at Green Bay Packers 2019 training campLaFleur: Offense still a work in progress as Packers open campPackers release defensive tackle Mike DanielsGreen Bay Packers 2019 training camp primerPackers’ Rodgers not ranked as a top-5 quarterback in Madden 20For both the Lions and Packers, the offseason begins the moment Sunday’s game ends in Detroit. Both teams showed promise at times in 2017, but an injury to Aaron Rodgers derailed Green Bay, and the Lions stumbled down the stretch for a second straight season. When these old rivals meet this weekend, there won’t be much left to play for.“Obviously this is new territory for us — at least for me and the majority of guys on this team,” Green Bay linebacker Clay Matthews said. “For the first time, we’re not playing for a postseason spot.”The Packers (7-8) have fallen short of the playoffs for the first time since 2008, a year before Matthews was drafted.Detroit (8-7) won’t be in the postseason either, and the big question now is whether the Lions will stick with coach Jim Caldwell for another year. Detroit made the playoffs last season, but lost its final three regular-season games and its postseason opener.This season, the Lions were in decent shape at 6-4 before consecutive losses against Minnesota and Baltimore left them playing catch-up.Detroit is now out of contention for a playoff spot following a bad loss at Cincinnati last weekend.“It’s different. I’ve never been in this situation before so I don’t know how to feel,” said Lions receiver Marvin Jones, who made the playoffs each of his four previous healthy seasons in the NFL.Last season, the Packers and Lions both made the playoffs and Green Bay won at Detroit in Week 17 to take the division title. The teams both made the postseason in 2014 as well, and the Packers held off the Lions at Lambeau Field in the regular-season finale to win the NFC North.There’s nothing like that at stake this week Zach Allen Jersey , but here are a few things to watch when Detroit hosts Green Bay:PLAYING FOR PRIDEBoth teams appear to be treating this like a normal game. Rodgers has been shut down for the season, but there’s no indication this will turn into a parade of backups.“It’s important to play to win. To me, this isn’t the preseason,” Packers coach Mike McCarthy said. “I think it would be the wrong message to send to the locker room, and it’s a terrible message to send to your fans. People are electing to go to Ford Field to see the Green Bay Packers play the Lions, so we’re going there to win. If our players are healthy, I expect them to play and I expect them to play to win.”PASSING STATSThe Lions have their share of problems, but the passing game isn’t the main reason they’re missing the playoffs.Matthew Stafford has seven consecutive seasons with at least 4,000 yards passing, and Jones has surpassed 1,000 yards receiving for the first time in his career.“I did what I set out to do, but at the same time, I play the game to help my team to make it as far as we can,” Jones said. “Everybody is disappointed and feels like we had a team to go to the playoffs, but it didn’t happen.”RARE OPPORTUNITYThe Lions haven’t swept Green Bay since the 1991 season Hakeem Butler Jersey , but they have a chance to accomplish that after beating the Packers on the road 30-17 in early November.INJURY ISSUESGreen Bay has been hurt by injuries to its receiving group. Davante Adams (concussion) didn’t play in last weekend’s loss to Minnesota, and Jordy Nelson went down with a shoulder injury in that game.Matthews (hamstring) also missed that game.Detroit has had to deal with injuries on its offensive line: Travis Swanson (concussion), T.J. Lang (foot) and Rick Wagner (ankle) were inactive against Cincinnati.UPS AND DOWNSBrett Hundley, who has been Green Bay’s replacement for the injured Rodgers, went 17 of 40 and threw two interceptions against Minnesota. That was a step back after he’d thrown six touchdown passes with only one interception over his previous three appearances.—PACKERS-LIONS CAPSULEOPENING LINE — Lions by 7RECORD VS. SPREAD — Green Bay 7-8, Detroit 7-7-1SERIES RECORD — Packers lead 100-69-7LAST MEETING — Lions beat Packers 30-17, Nov. 6LAST WEEK — Packers lost to Vikings 16-0; Lions lost to Bengals 26-17AP PRO32 RANKING — Packers No. 21, Lions No. 17PACKERS OFFENSE — OVERALL (25), RUSH (18), PASS (23)PACKERS DEFENSE — OVERALL (22), RUSH (20), PASS (22)LIONS OFFENSE — OVERALL (13), RUSH (32), PASS (6)LIONS DEFENSE — OVERALL (27), RUSH (17) Chris Lindstrom Jersey , PASS (28)STREAKS, STATS AND NOTES — Lions trying for first sweep of Packers since 1991 season. … Both teams eliminated from playoff contention. Both made it last season, and their matchup to end regular season decided division. … Packers started this season 4-1 but are 3-7 since loss to Minnesota in which QB Aaron Rodgers was injured. Brett Hundley, who replaced Rodgers, has thrown for eight TDs with 10 INTs. … Green Bay’s Jamaal Williams and Aaron Jones form only rookie pair in which each player has at least 400 yards rushing and at least four TDs rushing. … Packers WR Davante Adams is tied for second in NFL with 10 TD catches. … Green Bay LB Blake Martinez leads NFL with 136 tackles. … Detroit’s Matthew Stafford is third in NFL with 4,123 yards passing and has seven straight seasons with at least 4,000. … Since 2015, Lions’ Theo Riddick is only RB in NFL with 1,500 yards receiving and 10 TD catches. … Detroit hasn’t had 100-yard rusher since Reggie Bush had 117 on Thanksgiving against Green Bay in 2013. … Lions CB Darius Slay leads NFL with seven INTs. Fantasy Tip: Detroit’s anemic running game is generally worth avoiding, but if you must consider RB from Lions, rookie Tion Green has played more prominent role lately and may receive more extensive look in largely meaningless finale.

nach oben springen

Besucher

Forum Statistiken
Das Forum hat 19455 Themen und 77011 Beiträge.

Xobor Forum Software von Xobor | Forum, Fotos, Chat und mehr mit Xobor