”I can’t tell you what Plan B would’ve been

in Events im JuZ Idstein 12.06.2019 08:07
von elaine95 • 481 Beiträge

Spotting opponents an early lead hasn’t been a problem lately for Anthony Rizzo and the Chicago Cubs.

Rizzo drove in his second run of the game in the seventh inning to snap a tie http://www.detroitlionsteamonline.com/austin-bryant-jersey , Kyle Schwarber followed with a solo homer in the eighth and the Cubs rebounded from an early three-run deficit to edge the Detroit Tigers 5-3 on Tuesday for their fifth straight win.

The other team has scored first in each of Chicago’s recent victories, but the Cubs have kept chipping away.

”We know we’re a good team,” Rizzo said. ”We just have to string together good at-bats.”

The Cubs did just that again on Tuesday.

With one out in the seventh, Jason Heyward and Ben Zobrist singled off Tigers reliever Daniel Stumpf (1-4). Rizzo’s slow bouncer up the middle resulted in a force of Zobrist at second, but Jose Iglesias’ throw to first was too late to double up Rizzo and Heyward scored from third to put Chicago ahead for the first time, 4-3.

Schwarber hit his team-leading 17th homer to right against a steady wind off Lake Michigan in the eighth.

Trailing 3-0, Albert Almora, Jr. and Heyward each drove in a run with a double, then Rizzo followed with an RBI single in Chicago’s three-run fifth.

Rizzo has just one homer in his past 20 games – and 12 this season – after launching at least 31 in each of the past four seasons. But the Cubs slugger says the longball isn’t always the best approach.

”You get down and start battling (at) two strikes, it’s not about hitting a homer,” Rizzo said. ”It’s just about putting the ball in play and we’re doing a good job at that.”

Justin Wilson (3-2), the second of Chicago’s four relievers, pitched a scoreless seventh to earn the win. Pedro Strop pitched a scoreless ninth for his second save in four chances.

The Cubs’ bullpen allowed just one hit after starter Kyle Hendricks labored through five innings, allowing three runs and seven hits in a no-decision. In his past six starts Max Scharping Jersey , the right-hander is 1-4 with a 6.75 ERA.

”They didn’t beat him up by any means today,” manager Joe Maddon said. ”It’s just that it wasn’t a typical surgeon-like procedure from Kyle. He looks good, he’s just not executing.”

Detroit leadoff hitter Mikie Mahtook had three singles and scored a run. Niko Goodrum drove in a run with a double, and Jeimer Candelario and James McCann each had an RBI as the Tigers lost their 12th game in their past 14.

Tigers starter Michael Fulmer went six innings and allowed three runs – all in the fifth – and seven hits.

”He had really good stuff,” manager Ron Gardenhire said. ”He got a couple of pitches up a bit, but they kind of put them in the right place.

”It wasn’t like they were lashing them, but they put them on the outfield grass, kind of like what we did to them early.”

The Tigers jumped out to a 2-0 lead in the first. After Mahtook and Nick Castellanos led off with singles, Candelario drove in a run with a groundout. Goodrum’s double to the right-field corner scored the second run.

The Tigers added a run in the fourth on McCann’s RBI single.

The Cubs tied it 3-all in the fifth. Pinch-hitter Tommy LaStella, Almora and Heyward led off with consecutive doubles to cut it to 3-2, then Rizzo’s hit with one out tied it.

WINDY CITY TIGER

INF/OF Jim Adduci, called up from Triple-A Toledo on Sunday, was in Detroit’s lineup at first base and singled and scored in his first game this season. The 33-year-old attended Evergreen Park High School in Chicago’s south suburbs and grew up a fan of both the Cubs and White Sox. Adduci’s father, also named Jim Brian Burns Jersey , played a total of 70 games with three major league teams in the 1980s and was at Wrigley Field on Tuesday.

TRAINER’S ROOM:

Cubs: INF/OF Kris Bryant (left shoulder inflammation) probably will return Wednesday or Friday, Maddon said after the game. The Cubs star has been sidelined since June 22. … RHP Yu Darvish (right triceps inflammation, right elbow impingement/inflammation) rejoined the Cubs after seeing Dr. Keith Meister in Texas on Friday and getting a cortisone shot. Maddon said he still hadn’t yet talked to the right-hander about his progress following the injection.

UP NEXT:

Tigers LHP Francisco Liriano (3-4. 3.99) takes the mound against Cubs LHP Jose Quintana (6-6. 4.31) on Wednesday afternoon in the finale of the two-game interleague set. Liriano has lost both of his starts since coming off the disabled list (right hamstring strain) on June 23. Quintana has two losses and three no-decisions in his past five starts and hasn’t won since May 31.

The worst-case scenario fear surfaced in Sam Bradford’s mind at midseason, in the aftermath of the 30-year-old quarterback’s latest surgery on his left knee.

This procedure was an arthroscopic cleanup, not another reconstruction, but that didn’t quiet the question about whether he’d be able to resume his career.

”That was a battle I fought for a few weeks,” Bradford said. ”But it seemed like each day where it got better, each week where it felt like I was making true progress and could do a little bit more, those thoughts started to leave my mind. I started to become more confident in how I felt on my knee and what I was able to do.”

Bradford returned to practice with the Minnesota Vikings this week, the earliest he was eligible to do so after being placed on injured reserve on Nov. 8.

The Vikings can put him back on the active roster for the playoffs at any time, with a decision required by Jan. 23 if they advance to the Super Bowl.

Bradford would likely only be the second or third option at that point behind Case Keenum and possibly Teddy Bridgewater, but in this unpredictable sport the potential of him being summoned into duty can’t be dismissed.

”I’ve been working extremely hard to be able to get back out there, and so just to be out there and be able to go through these two practices, it’s been great http://www.pantherscheapshop.com/cheap-authentic-greg-little-jersey ,” Bradford said on Wednesday, his first mass interview in three months. ”I think we’re still just taking it one day at a time.”

Bradford, who tore his ACL in 2013 and 2014 when he was with the St. Louis Rams, performed brilliantly in the season-opening win over the New Orleans Saints, during which he aggravated the knee.

Keenum started the next three games, until Bradford had made sufficient enough progress to be cleared to start at Chicago on Oct. 9. He hobbled around in the first half against the Bears that night, though. He took four sacks and produced only three points before giving way to Keenum again late in the second quarter, this time for good.

Vikings head athletic trainer Eric Sugarman described the injury as natural wear and tear, but Bradford tried a variety of treatments to try to strengthen the joint without success before ultimately opting for the surgery.

Finally, he said, the knee is feeling as good as it has since training camp.

”I don’t know what the future holds. I don’t know how it’s going to hold up. But I didn’t know how it was going to hold up after the previous two operations,” Bradford said.

”I don’t think anyone knows how their body is going to hold up. All you can do is try to get it as strong as possible.”

Bradford kept up a behind-the-scenes presence with the Vikings throughout his rehabilitation, assisting Keenum with the game-planning and attempting to remain engaged with the team during its run to a 13-3 regular season record and a first-round bye for the playoffs.

”I know it’s been a hard year for him battling that knee, so it’s good to see him out there feeling good Will Grier Jersey ,” tight end Kyle Rudolph said.

The what-could-have-been feelings were inevitable for Bradford, given the team’s success without him, but calling it career before all options were exhausted was not entertained even with career earnings well over $100 million.

”You realize how special it is to be on the field with your teammates, being able to compete out there in the National Football League,” Bradford said.

”That’s one of the greatest honors there is. I think once you have a taste of that feeling, it’s really hard to let it go. I think for everyone, it’s what drives you to come back.”

Rudolph, for his part, pushed through a sprained right ankle over the past three games.

”I can’t tell you what Plan B would’ve been had we had to play a game this week. I just would’ve been out there and been a terrible football player like I have been for the last three weeks,” Rudolph said. ”Getting to this week off is big for me.”

nach oben springen

Besucher

Forum Statistiken
Das Forum hat 19455 Themen und 77011 Beiträge.

Xobor Forum Software von Xobor | Forum, Fotos, Chat und mehr mit Xobor