Brian McCann slipped on the No. 16 jersey he wore fo

in Events im JuZ Idstein 10.04.2019 02:52
von panxing18 • 393 Beiträge

ATLANTA (AP) — r so many years.“It feels right Jesus Aguilar Jersey ,” he said, over and over again.Looking to improve on their first division title in five years, the Atlanta Braves agreed to one-year contracts with McCann and former AL MVP Josh Donaldson — a pair of low-risk moves that give the team a chance to make another postseason run while not hindering the long-term development of all those talented young players.Donaldson agreed to a $23 million deal, the Braves confirmed Monday night. The salary matches what the third baseman made during a forgettable 2018 season.McCann’s $2 million contract reunites the team with a catcher who was a seven-time All-Star from 2005-13. A native of suburban Atlanta, he was eager for a chance to return home with his wife and two children.“This is as special a day for me as any I’ve had in my career,” McCann said during a hastily called news conference at SunTrust Park. “To put this uniform back on, with the love I have for this organization, the love I have for everybody from top to bottom, people I’ve known since I was 18 years old, that’s why I’m here.”While McCann’s signing is sure to be popular with the fan base, the acquisition of Donaldson figures to be far more significant to the team’s fortunes in 2019.The Braves are counting on a return to form from the three-time All-Star, who turns 32 next month. It was only three years ago that he captured the MVP award in his first season with Toronto, hitting 41 homers and leading the AL with 123 RBIs. While he followed up with two more 30-plus-homer seasons, a hip injury in 2016 and a strained right calf in 2017 cut into his production.This past season, Donaldson was limited to 52 games by shoulder inflammation and calf issues, hitting .246 with eight homers and 23 RBIs. He was dealt to Cleveland by the Blue Jays on Aug. 31.The short-term deal with the Braves gives Donaldson a chance to show he’s healthy and back to form, potentially setting up a huge payday in the next free-agent market.For Atlanta, it provides another much-needed slugger in the middle of the order to go with Freddie Freeman, especially since it’s not known if the team will make a serious run at bringing back free-agent outfielder Nick Markakis.General manager Alex Anthopoulos attended the news conference for McCann but did not comment on the signing of Donaldson.It was left to McCann to inadvertently mention the Braves’ other acquisition, which the team did not officially announce until hours later.“I don’t know if I was supposed to say that,” McCann said, sounding a bit embarrassed. “I just read it on Twitter.”“I don’t even know who that is,” Anthopoulos quipped.Actually, Donaldson and the GM have a relationship that goes back to their days in Toronto. Anthopoulos served in the same post for the Blue Jays until 2015, working out the blockbuster trade brought Donaldson from Oakland.A news conference with Donaldson was scheduled for Tuesday. The Braves designated left-handers Adam McCreery and Ricardo Sanchez for assignment to make room for their new acquisitions on the 40-man roster.Atlanta’s signing of Donaldson raises questions about the future of 24-year-old Johan Camargo http://www.brewersfanproshop.com/authentic-orlando-arcia-jersey , who had a breakout season at third base. He hit .272 with 19 homers and 76 RBIs before going 0 for 15 in a Division Series loss to the Los Angeles Dodgers.Camargo, who has also played shortstop, second base and even one game in left field during his brief big league career, could upgrade Atlanta bench as a super sub — a big priority after the Braves went with a playoff roster that included journeymen Ryan Flaherty and Lane Adams. Or, if there’s an opening in the outfield, Camargo could get a shot to play alongside NL Rookie of the Year Ronald Acuna Jr. and Gold Glover Ender Inciarte.McCann, who turns 35 in February, left the Braves to sign an $85 million, five-year contract with the New York Yankees. After the emergence of Gary Sanchez, McCann was traded to Houston and helped the Astros win their first World Series title in 2017.But McCann dipped badly this year, hitting a career-low .212 with seven homers and 23 RBIs in 63 games. He missed about two months because of arthroscopic surgery on his right knee in July.While the Braves signed McCann mainly for his leadership abilities and the chance to work with a young starting staff, Anthopoulos said he’s hopeful that the catcher will bounce back offensively “now that he’s got his knee fixed. The reports on him are very strong. We think is upside is great, beyond everything else he brings.”McCann will share playing time with Tyler Flowers in what the Braves hope will be another effective duo behind the plate, similar to what they had the last two seasons with Flowers and Kurt Suzuki.Suzuki recently signed a two-year deal with NL East rival Washington.McCann thanked Charlie Culberson for agreeing to give up No. 16, which the utility player wore in 2018 for the Braves.“I have to get him something nice,” McCann said. “That number means a lot to me. That’s the number I wore my first nine years. It’s special.” SURPRISE, Ariz. (AP) — Brett Phillips has always been the fastest player on his team, whether he was playing in Little League, starring at Seminole High School or climbing the rungs of the minor league ladder.When he looks around the Kansas City Royals’ clubhouse, though, the fleet-footed outfielder was left to ask a very sobering and sincere question: “What am I, the 10th fastest now?”Not quite. But just about.You see, the Royals identified a market inefficiency a few years ago when it came to bullpen arms, stockpiling huge talents at low costs and effectively shortening games. The result was twofold: They won back-to-back American League pennants and the 2015 World Series, and every other team noticed what they had done and began to offer big contracts to premier relievers.Unable to keep up with those escalating costs Travis Shaw Jersey , the Royals turned their attention to speed and defense as they dive headlong into a rebuild. Now, they view stolen bases as grossly undervalued in an era of power hitters, and they have built quite possibly the fastest lineup in baseball.Second baseman Whit Merrifield led the majors with 45 steals last season. Billy Hamilton, who signed with Kansas City as a free agent, was fifth with 34. Young shortstop Adalberto Mondesi had 32 steals despite getting just 275 at-bats after a midseason call-up.That’s three of the top eight the big leagues last season, and doesn’t even factor in Phillips, free-agent signing Chris Owings or speedsters Brian Goodwin and Terrance Gore.“We felt we needed to improve and speed and defense were two areas where we could improve,” said general manager Dayton Moore, the architect of both the World Series title team and now the reboot.“It could make a difference,” he explained. “It could force teams to prepare for us. We could have an identity, a team that plays really, really hard, fundamentally sound, impactful defense and speed that cannot be defended. That was our mindset.”It’s a mindset that runs counter to every trend in baseball.The was a yearly average of more than 3,000 steals throughout the 1990s, even with a strike-shortened 1994 season. But the number has declined each of the past four seasons, and the 2,474 steals last year were a drop of nearly 800 from 2012 and the lowest total in a non-shortened season since 1973 — when there were six fewer teams.Ricky Henderson stole 130 bases for Oakland in 1982. Lou Brock swiped 118 for St. Louis in 1974. Vince Coleman surpassed 100 for the Cardinals in three consecutive seasons from 1986-88.Only six TEAMS surpassed 100 steals last season.There are several reasons for the abrupt downturn. Managers generally loathe the idea of running into an out on the basepaths, and fans dig the instant offense of home runs. Then there are advanced analytics that have changed the complexion of baseball, and that suggest a player must be successful on 75 percent of steals to balance the risk of making a precious out.“The game has changed to the point where, for me, the game is a little boring,” Royals manager Ned Yost said. “You can have the debates on the shift — I don’t like the shift. It takes away offense. It takes away singles. Singles are dwindling in our game. Guys are more focused on raring back and swinging as hard as they can to hit home runs. That results in higher strikeouts and more home runs.“But I like strategy in the game. I like singles,” Yost said. “I don’t care if you bunt. I don’t care if you walk. I like runners moving. I like to put runners in motion. I like stealing.”He’s not the only one, either.The Mariners acquired Dee Gordon in a trade with the Marlins and Mallex Smith in a trade with the Rays http://www.brewersfanproshop.com/authentic-orlando-arcia-jersey , giving them two leading base-stealers. Nationals skipper Dave Martinez said recently that speedy outfielder Trea Turner has the green light whenever he’s on base.“We let the reins go,” Martinez said. “I kind of put the pressure on him a little bit about maybe having more attempts. If you look at the best baserunners to ever play the game, those guys had 90 to 100 attempts every year, and last year he had 52 and he stole 43 bases. So we want him to go more, and I think the more he goes the more he’ll steal.”Still, nobody values speed like the Royals. They lavished Merrifield with a $16.25 million, four-year contract this past offseason. They gave Hamilton $5.25 million for this year. And they traded for Phillips, landed Owings and suddenly have quite the 4×400 relay team.“I’d probably weight them down. We’ve got some pretty athletic dudes,” said Royals pitcher Danny Duffy, quick to point out the benefits of that speed from an opposing perspective.Pitchers have to be more wary of bunts. They have to be cognizant of holding guys on base. They have to know that anything in the gap could score a run from first, and that those fleet-footed speed freaks are willing to grab an extra bag whenever the opportunity arises.Still, the amount of money the Royals invested in their quick-twitch approach pales in comparison the money other clubs have spent on power, and that is where the market inefficiency lies.Just this offseason, Bryce Harper signed a $325 million deal with Philadelphia and Manny Machado inked a $300 million contract with San Diego. Other big contracts in recent years have gone to other big sluggers, whether it was Albert Pujols ($240 million with the Angels), Prince Fielder ($214 million with Detroit) or Jason Heyward ($184 million with the Cubs).The small-market Royals have never given out a contract that even approaches those deals, and the reality is they probably never will. But with a unique approach, they believe they don’t have to.In essence, they believe their speed will pay off just as much.“I know that’s been the hot topic, that these guys are fast,” Phillips marveled during the early days of Royals spring training. “I like to think I’m fast, but when you put me next to these guys, I’m slow. But that’s what you want as a team. Our purpose is getting on base and scoring runs.”

nach oben springen

Besucher

Forum Statistiken
Das Forum hat 19455 Themen und 77011 Beiträge.

Xobor Forum Software von Xobor | Forum, Fotos, Chat und mehr mit Xobor