scored after a scramble in front of the net. Evgeny Kuznetsov was able to control the puck and made a slick pass to Wilson, who

in Events im JuZ Idstein 12.03.2019 03:38
von elaine95 • 481 Beiträge

VANCOUVER Womens Deryk Engelland Jersey , British Columbia — Elias Pettersson did something Thursday that no other Vancouver Canucks first-year player has done since 1999.Pettersson, a 19-year-old Swede, was named the National Hockey League’s rookie of the month for October. He became the first Canuck to earn the honor since Peter Schaefer pulled off the feat 19 years ago.Not bad considering that Pettersson missed six games with a concussion in his first month as an NHLer.Article continues below ...“There’s a lot of good rookies and I’m honored to win it,” Pettersson told reporters after practice at the University of B.C.“I think I started very well, and when I got back (from the concussion) the guys helped me continue to play my game. … I felt like I didn’t miss anything.”Pettersson leads the injury-riddled Canucks (8-6-0) in goals and points heading into Friday’s home game against the Colorado Avalanche (7-4-2). The youngster has seven goals and three assists in just eight games. He already has a pair of two-goal nights.The latest twin-pack came Monday in Vancouver’s 5-2 home-ice win over Minnesota, a team that had won five straight games beforehand. Pettersson scored the winning goal on a one-timer and netted an insurance marker on breakaway, which resulted after he blocked a shot.He has adjusted well to the NHL after concerns were raised about his ability to play center and handle the more physical game prevalent on North America’s smaller rinks than on Europe’s larger ones. For the most part, he has handled the rough going with relative ease. The concussion occurred when he was hit from behind and slammed to the ice by Washington defenseman Mike Matheson, who received a two-game suspension for his misdeeds.Pettersson has also been a mainstay at center, his natural position, after Green contemplated starting the season with him on the wing to help him acclimatize to the NHL.“We were hopeful that he would be able to play at a decent level and obviously hopeful that he could play center,” said Green.“The fact that he’s picked up the position over here — as quick as he has — has really shown to me that he has good understanding of the game. … That’s the part of the game that’s hard to grasp and to teach James Neal Jersey , and with him we haven’t had to worry about that.”On Friday, the Canucks coach and his charges will likely have to worry about Colorado’s top line of Mikko Rantanen, Nathan MacKinnon and Gabriel Landeskog. All three rank among the NHL’s top scorers. Accordingly, the Avs are contending for first place in the Central Division.The Calgary Flames managed to keep the trio largely in check Thursday night, coming back to beat the Avs 6-5. Although Avs coach Jared Bednar does not have to worry about his top unit most nights, he has concerns about his other lines due to injuries to Tyson Jost, J.T. Compher and Sven Andrighetto, who are relied upon for secondary scoring. As a result, Bednar wants some younger players to shine.“It’s a great opportunity for a lot of those guys,” Bednar told reporters Thursday morning in Calgary.Bednar singled out center Vladislav Kamenev, who moved up to the second line for Thursday’s contest, as one player who needs to provide more offensive production.“I agree with that Jonathan Marchessault Jersey ,” said Kamenev, 22, who has logged eight games. “I have to play better offensively — be with the puck more maybe and make plays. (With guys injured) I have to use that chance.”He did Thursday night, scoring his first NHL career goal. DETROIT (AP) — On another fruitless night for their power play, the Washington Capitals needed scoring from some unlikely sources.Michal Kempny and Travis Boyd scored in the third period, and the Capitals snapped their three-game losing streak with a 3-2 victory over the Detroit Red Wings on Sunday night. Kempny’s winner came with 3:52 remaining. It was his fifth goal of the season, and Boyd scored his fourth.“Through the first two, it was a slow and sloppy game,” Boyd said. “We came together here in between the second and the third and just said if we put together 20 good minutes here, we could walk away with the win. We were able to do that.”Tom Wilson also scored for the Capitals, who improved to 9-0-2 in their last 11 games against Detroit. Anthony Mantha and Filip Hronek scored for the Red Wings.The Capitals trailed 2-1 heading into the final period, but Boyd tied it off a pass from Alex Ovechkin. Goalie Jimmy Howard nearly made the save sliding from right to left Marc-Andre Fleury Jersey , but the puck made it through.Kempny’s winner came on a wrist shot from the blue line that sailed through traffic and past Howard. The shot appeared to take a deflection off Detroit’s Tyler Bertuzzi, who was trying to pressure Kempny.“We felt like our forwards were really fighting hard to get to the front of the net, and we didn’t deliver enough pucks there. That was the message in between the second and third,” Capitals coach Todd Reirden said. “We were able to convert on that after.”The Capitals won the Stanley Cup last season on the strength of a dynamic power play, but that unit is now 1 for 31 over the past 10 games after four more empty opportunities Sunday. Detroit wasn’t any better, though. The Red Wings were 0 for 3 and were unable to convert after T.J. Oshie took a penalty with 2:47 left in regulation.Detroit is 1 for 20 on the power play in its past eight games.“When you get a power play, everyone gets excited because you’ve got a chance to change the game,” Mantha said. “When you don’t do anything, it takes away all of your momentum.”Washington opened the scoring when Wilson scored after a scramble in front of the net. Evgeny Kuznetsov was able to control the puck and made a slick pass to Wilson, who scored from a sharp angle.Mantha, in his second game back from a broken hand, was impressive throughout the first Nate Schmidt Jersey , and he tied the game with an unassisted goal with 5:52 left in the period. Mantha stole the puck at the Washington blue line, skated in and beat goalie Braden Holtby with a backhander between the pads.Hronek put the Red Wings ahead in the second when he redirected a nice pass from Dylan Larkin past Holtby.“For us to win games against a team like that, you either have to play mistake-free hockey, score a lot of goals or win the special teams battles,” Detroit coach Jeff Blashill said. “We didn’t do that tonight. Our kill was outstanding, but the power play isn’t good enough.”NOTES: Wilson, who began the season on a lengthy suspension for a hit during the preseason, now has 12 goals in 22 games. His career high is 14. … Detroit was without F Michael Rasmussen. Blashill said he has a lower-body injury and will likely miss at least one more game.UP NEXTCapitals: Host Philadelphia on Tuesday night.Red Wings: Host Montreal on Tuesday night.

nach oben springen

Besucher

Forum Statistiken
Das Forum hat 19455 Themen und 77011 Beiträge.

Xobor Forum Software von Xobor | Forum, Fotos, Chat und mehr mit Xobor